Thursday, August 1, 2013

In the market for paint?

I love new paint! And if you watch any of the home improvement shows, you probably already know paint is one of the cheapest, simplest ways to change the look of a room. Plus a new coat of paint makes everything seem new and fresh. 

I know they say it's the cheapest, but maybe I'm just cheap. Paint still can be costly especially when funds are very limited and or you have lots of surfaces to paint.  

When we moved into our home years ago it needed a complete renovation. Every room, wall and trim had to be repainted. Having just taken on a new mortgage, funds were tight. During the reno period, we were making many trips to the landfill to drop off old carpet, cabinets etc etc. I happened upon the recycle shed during one of the trips and found a plethora of free paint and chemicals. SInce it is illegal to dispose of chemicals and paint in the trash they have created a shed that you can drop off and also take unneeded/unwanted paint. 

We had already purchased paint for the main level of our home so we didn't need it right then, but I filed the information away in the back of my mind. When the time came to redecorate our basement, again we were making many trips to the landfill. I would check into the recycle shed and started stockpiling paint.  I always chose light neutral tones. When the time came to paint, my husband poured all the various colors and sheens together and mixed them in a 5 gallon bucket. It ended up a nice taupe color. On the basement walls it went! It has remained one of the few surfaces that has not been repainted repeatedly, and it still looks great.

Since then, I have just gone to paint and home improvement stores and buy their mis-tinted paint at a discount. If you aren't too picky about the color it's a great way to save! Kwal Howells in South Jordan have single gallons priced at $3.99 and if they have them available, 5 gallons are only $20!! What a deal!!  Thankfully we aren't making regular trips out to the landfill any more.  Plus buying it from a local store is more convenient. 

One of my best deals was when Nordstrom in Murray was closing the old store.  I somehow came across a notice for a fixture sale and thought I  would check it out. I didn't buy any fixtures nor did I need any- but they did have quite a bit of Benjamin Moore paint in one of the back rooms.  All the same color and sheen- yippee! The color wasn't listed on the can lid it was just a code, nor was there the usual smudge of color for a sample. Luckily I was able to call up my husband with the code number, and had him look on the internet ( I didn't have a smart phone) and low and behold it was a nice taupe color.  Bingo- I took it. And only a $1.00 a gallon. 

Anyone else have money saving paint tips?

~Heidi


No comments:

Post a Comment