Monday, July 29, 2013

My Favorite Bakery

I am in awe of all the great bakers in my neighborhood.  Unfortunately, I can only bake the no knead bread with any amount of success. I love artisan breads, but not the prices for them at local stores. 

I came across Stone Ground Bakery bread at The NPS Store a few years ago. My family fell in love with the marble rye bread.  It always brings to mind the episode of Seinfeld where he steals the loaf of marble rye from the old lady that bought the last loaf. 

Chances are you've already had Stone Ground Bakery bread if you ever eat out.  They supply fresh breads to many local restaurants. Do you love the sourdough bread served at Market Street Grill? Stone Ground Bakery makes it. 

Although The NPS Store generally has a pretty good selection, you never know what they'll have in stock.  I was thrilled when Stone Ground Bakery started selling to the public. They are located at 1025 South 700 West, Salt Lake City, UT 84104.  They are open 9-2 MON- SAT. 

They sell day old, overruns etc out of what appears to be the lobby of the bakery. Day old bread is usually $1 a loaf and overruns around $2-$3 a loaf. It may be a little out of the way if you're located in the south end of the valley like me. But it is definitely worth the trip!  

Our family favorites are: marble rye, ciabatta rolls, baguettes and sourdough bread.  I usually get a bunch of our favorites and freeze them- it's far enough away from me that it's not worth buying 1 loaf at a time. Bread freezes pretty well.  

Try them out if you're in the area, I think you'll like it!

Happy Saving ~ Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment